[RECOMMENDED]: MENTAL HEALTH
Week 4 Questions to Answer
1. Facts and Fables About Suicide
Indicate with a T or F whether each of the following statements is true or false.
_____ 1. Suicide is an inherited trait.
_____ 2. Gunshot wounds are the leading cause of death among suicide victims.
_____ 3. Most people give clues and warnings about their suicidal intentions.
_____ 4. If a person has attempted suicide, he or she will not do it again.
_____ 5. Suicide is the act of a psychotic person.
_____ 6. Once a person is suicidal, he or she is suicidal forever.
_____ 7. Most suicides occur when the severe depression has started to improve.
_____ 8. Most suicidal people have ambivalent feelings about living and dying.
_____ 9. If a suicidal person is intent upon dying, he or she cannot be stopped.
_____ 10. People who talk about suicide don’t commit suicide.
2. Your neighbor tells you he is going to visit his sister-in-law in the hospital. The sister-in-law has been hospitalized after attempting suicide. Your neighbor asks, “What should I say when I go to visit Jane?” What suggestions might you give him?
3. Alterations in which of the neurotransmitters are most closely associated with depression?
4. Depression in adolescence is very hard to differentiate from the normal stormy behavior associated with adolescence. What is the best clue for determining a problem with depression in adolescence?
5. All antidepressants carry a black-box warning. What is it?
6. What is the speech pattern of a person experiencing a manic episode?
7. Why should a person on lithium therapy have blood levels drawn regularly? and what is the value for TOXIC lithium Level
8. Describe some nursing teaching for the client on lithium therapy? include information about sodium and what is important for a patient to know about sodium and lithium
9. Conversion symptoms most commonly occur in an individual for what reason?
10. Next to each of the behaviors listed below, write the letter that identifies the disorder in which the behavior is most prevalent.
a. Cyclothymic disorder
b. Bipolar I disorder
c. Bipolar II disorder
d. Manic episode
e. Delirious mania
____ 1. Clouding of consciousness occurs.
____ 2. Characterized by mood swings between hypomania and mild depression.
____ 3. Paranoid and grandiose delusions are common.
____ 4. Excessive interest in sexual activity.
_____5. Accelerated, pressured speech.
_____6. Frenzied motor activity, characterized by agitated, purposeless movements.
_____7. Recurrent bouts of major depression with episodes of hypomania.
_____8. Recurrent bouts of mania with episodes of depression.